Wednesday 30 September 2015

Before and after

The below blog link was just what I needed to stumble on...if I am to go then this sort of reflection is perfect for me to think about as well.  When looking at my first years of teaching, I relied heavily on what I had been shown/told/observed from my tutor/associate and mentor teachers.  Teaching has changed so much in the last 10 years. What you know is ever evolving  and I need to evolve with it.  I think teaching is so much more exciting now than when I first started!  Students are the centre of my universe and their input/ideas/interests/values are what drives me to create engaging and empowering learning.  I look back to my ways of old and neh bring on the current focus on collaborative student-directed teaching and learning!  https://kerrithompsonblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/28/edblognz-week-one-no-1/  

My true focus for now is personlised learning.  I want to know more about this..I have been hearing whispers...Now is this just what we do when we individualise or differentiate or is this a pedagogical framework for empowering learners to take charge of their learning?  I will investigate more and keep you posted...


6 comments:

  1. Great post. Personalised learning has definitely become more prominent, and teachers are finding new and exciting ways of making it work for them!
    The thing I love about teaching is the new day every day. No two days are ever the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al! I guess the more you personlise learning the more every day will be different! And then there's keeping up with it all...all in a days work yeah?

      Delete
  2. Welcome to blogging. It's great when we reflect on our own teaching and know where we want it to go. Keep up the blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for your comment. It's actually quite exciting writing your thoughts down instead of just thinking about it! I'm in that phase of looking to move on to another school as part of my life journey/learning/adventure so I'm being abit philisophical!

      Delete
  3. Great topic to be learning more about. I'm on the same journey as Principal - how can I personalise learning for staff and how can they personalise learning for their learners?
    I'll look forward to reading what you've learned.

    I read "Make Learning Personal" by Bray and McClaskey, 2015 - an easy read and challenged my thinking a bit too. Personalised learning in't individual learning and it's not differentiated learning either. Getting an understanding of what personalised learning is, is the first step to understanding implementation too.

    I'll be interested in your thoughts on this.

    Happy blogging.

    I've posted some thoughts on my blog if you want to check it out. www.21centuryme.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bede, I'm glad to find someone who has read the book...so it's worth reading then? I've looked into buying it, about $70 through Bruce McKenzie so I'm looking at a cheaper option probably through Amazon! I've had a good look at the webpage and subscribed to their newsletter so starting to gather understanding and momentum! Does the book give you practical ideas and/or examples for in the classroom? So my next blog challenge will be connected to this somehow!

    ReplyDelete